[linux-cifs-client] setuids mount option not working?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Mar 11 03:16:53 MST 2010

Hi,

from reading the manpage, I got the impression that when I do
a cifs mount as root to a samba server with unix extensions
enabled, then specifying the setuids mount option would result
files/directories being created with the uid/gid of the
accessing user instead of as root.

This does not seem to work for me. I have tested kernels 2.6.31
on my ubuntu box and a uml setup with a kernel 2.6.32 git
checkout.

I mount the share like this:
"mount -t cifs //host/share /mnt -o user=root,password=secret,setuids"

The server ist just a current samba configured as standalone
server, serving the share from a world-writeable folder.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

Cheers - Michael