[linux-cifs-client] Multiple mounts on same mount points

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 08:34:31 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman at suse.de> wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 04:54 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:39:56 +0530
>> Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman at suse.de> wrote:

>>> Ok, thanks for the clarifying.
>>>

>> Yes. We should note however that there's no real requirement with the
>> old multiuser support that the mounts all be to the same mountpoint. It
>> may be more convenient to do it that way in some situations however.
>>

> Could you please enlighten me on one or more of those situations? I
> could not think of one.

User wants files created on a share to be owned by different users.

An example,  user1 mounts /mnt to \\server\user1 using his username
He has a program running as user2 that needs to create files on the
same share, but with different credentials, so user2 mounts
\\server\user2 (also to /mnt)

This approach is more limited than what is possible with Jeff's
multiuser patches but gives an example.

Steve