[linux-cifs-client] should we move the linux-cifs list to vger.kernel.org?

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Mon Jan 18 12:29:55 MST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:28:26 +0530
Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman at suse.de> wrote:

> On 01/18/2010 05:56 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > Most kernel lists are hosted on vger.kernel.org. The linux-cifs list is
> > an exception and it has the unfortunate problem that people have to
> > subscribe to the list before posting (or someone has to moderate their
> > message).
> >
> > vger is more open -- anyone can post to the list, even non-subscribers.
> > Should we consider moving the list to vger, and just make the existing
> > address forward to the new one?
> >

> +1
>
> Also apart from the fact that almost all kernel subsystems are discussed
> in vger, the anti-spam filters in vger seem very efficient.
>
> OTOH, wondering whether some of the the protocol specific or client
> behavior specific stuff should get discussed in samba-technical if we
> plan to move to vger?
>
> More idle thoughts.. :)

I was thinking we'd have the kernel.org people set us up a "linux-cifs"
list and migrate there from linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org. We'd
probably set up the existing list to forward mail to "linux-cifs" and
maybe think about some way to autorespond to people sending mail to the
old address and warn them to move their subscription, etc...

Certainly there's nothing stopping someone from cc'ing samba-technical
too the same way that people do today for more broad-based protocol
type questions.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>