[linux-cifs-client] Symlinks on Windows-based shares

Doug Kelly dougk at dougk-ff7.net
Fri Jan 8 08:58:37 MST 2010

I've long seen the Minshall+French format of storing symlinks on shares
that don't support UNIX Extensions, but has there been any interest or
work on implementing them within the CIFS VFS?  The format as it's
described at:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/UNIX_Extensions#Minshall.2BFrench_symlinks
doesn't seem too bad to implement, and I'd personally be willing to lend
a hand on it, to the best of my abilities.  I don't think there would be
any harm in reading them, and being able to write them just provides a
fallback in case UNIX Extensions aren't enabled.

--Doug Kelly