[linux-cifs-client] Samba SMB protocol encryption support

Guillaume Hiet guillaume.hiet at amossys.fr
Sat Feb 27 08:09:51 MST 2010

Hi List,

I would like to know if cifs module has (even experimental) support for
SMB protocol encryption (by setting option "smb encrypt=mandatory" in
Samba server configuration file).

We use Debian's Samba server v3.5rc2 and this feature works fine with
smbclient using "-e" option. However, we do not succeed in mounting the
share with cifs module (Linux Debian kernel 2.6.32-8) using "mount -t
cifs -o user=xxx,sec=krb5i,seal //my_host/my_share /my_mountpoint". Does
the "seal" option correspond to SMB protocol encryption?

We activate the following options in /proc/fs/cifs/ :
- experimental = 1
- LinuxExtensionsEnable = 1
- cifsFYI = 3
- SecurityFlags = 0x07

The signing feature seams to work well by setting "client/server signing
= mandatory" in smb.conf and using "mount  -t cifs -o
user=xxx,sec=krb5i" (using "mount  -t cifs -o user=xxx,sec=krb5" fail as
expected).

*Guillaume Hiet*
*/Ingénieur Expert SSI/*
guillaume.hiet at amossys.fr <mailto:guillaume.hiet at amossys.fr>