[linux-cifs-client] Error's opening credentials file.

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Sat Apr 3 05:18:38 MDT 2010

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:26:38 +0200
Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes,
>
> it's working again like it did. The previouis version I used was cifs-utils 4.0.
>
> Now the cred file is  /home/sbon/.smb/moun.cred again, and no problem.
>
> It was compiling using the libcap package, automatically.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stef
>

> 2010/4/2 Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>:
> > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:12:12 -0400
> > Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org> wrote:

> >> What was the last version on which this worked? Are you mount.cifs as a
> >> setuid root program? Is mount.cifs linked against libcap?
> >>

> > Does the attached patch fix the problem?
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>

Ok, I've gone ahead and pushed some patches into the git repo that
should fix this and still keep CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE exposure to a minimum.
Please test it if you're able and let me know whether the problem is
still fixed.

I'm starting to wonder whether it would be better though to switch this
code to use libcap-ng:

     http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/libcap-ng/

...the older libcap is pretty cumbersome.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>