[linux-cifs-client] Error's opening credentials file.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:11:20 MDT 2010

Hello,

I'm using a construction to make resources (local and remote) on a
userfriendly manner available in map in the users
home directory. These resources are USB devices (local) and FTP and
SSH hosts, and SMB shares.

For mounting the construction is using the autofs automounter for Linux.
It's running with root permissions.

To mount SMB shares of course mount.cifs is used, and a personalized
credentialsfile. So the mountcommand looks like:

mount.cifs "//$SMM_name/$SMB_share" $mount_directory -o
ip=$SMB_ip,credentialsfile=/home/sbon/.smb/mount.cred

Now with the latest version of cifs.utils 4.2, it does not mount. The
error it gives is:

error -1 (Unknown error 4294967295) opening credential file
/home/sbon/.smb/mount.cred

Now after some trying, when I put the credential file in a subdir of
root's home, it's ok:

mv /home/sbon/.smb/mount.cred /root/.smb

and I adjust the config of my construction to look for this
credentialfile, everything works again.

The permissions of the cred file is not changed! Apparently the
mount.cifs command also looks at the
directories above it (parents).

Now checking the code the function that reads the cred file is
open_cred_file, which uses the access call to check access.
Obviously that function checks the permissions of all the parent dirs,
and sees that the user root has not enough permissions, which is not
true.

IT's not such a big problem, I've got it working again, but it should
be documented.

Stef