[linux-cifs-client] CIFS named pipe support

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Thu Sep 24 07:34:00 MDT 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:47:23 +0200
Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 08:09:44AM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > Is there something I'm missing here?
>
> The main one is authentication. People might want to ride on
> the credentials used in the cifs filesystem.
>
> Volker

The problem though is that you won't necessarily have credentials for
random_server_X that WINE wants to talk to.

That's sort of my point. The current CIFS-based solution sort of
requires that you have some way to know ahead of time what hosts you're
going to talk to, and that's not necessarily the case with apps that run
under WINE.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>