[linux-cifs-client] Can't mount smb shares using mount.cifs with 2.6.31 kernel

Timothy Normand Miller theosib at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 09:35:07 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:32:39 -0400
>
> A little. Can you try mounting again with "-o noserverino"? Perhaps
> something is wrong with the inode numbers being generated by the server
> here...

That fixed the problem.  It mounts properly now.

> If that doesn't help, then maybe also capture some debugging info of
> you doing an "ls" in the top-level dir after doing the mount.

I can't tell where one set of debug messages end and where the next
set starts.  Is there something I can do to insert a dummy message
into dmesg so I can tell where to start copying?

> I doubt this is anything you've done. There were a number of changes in
> how inodes are handled under CIFS between 2.6.30 and 2.6.31. It's quite
> possible that one of those changes is causing problems with this server.

Thanks for the help.  Is there anything else I can do to diagnose the
cause so it can be fixed permanently?

--
Timothy Normand Miller
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~millerti