[linux-cifs-client] Re: new regression from cifs open on lookup patches

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:10:09 GMT 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:59:10AM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
>> At this point, we need to consider what to do for 2.6.30. We're looking
>> at the 3rd regression from these patches. I'm strongly of the opinion
>> that committing them was premature, and that they should be pulled and
>> deferred until they are better tested.
>>
>> Open on lookup is a nice optimization but ultimately this is something
>> that we can live without until it's working correctly.
>
> Personally I would prefer this to be reverted.  The VFS intent support in
> it's current form is a really fragile mess and the best thing would be
> to wait for Al to get this sorted out.
I am glad that the intent support is being straightened out.
but isn't the use of these flags for (only) create the same path that
NFS has used for years.  This seems safest (and in this patch series
and my testing was area that had few problems).

I am not sure that it can be as easily reverted since the patch series
includes changes to three other areas which call cifs_posix_open and
cifs_posix_open itself

Steve