[linux-cifs-client] Unusual behaviour of veto files parameter on Samba 3.x using GNU/Linux Clients with 2.6.27 kernel

Joseph Dacuma jadacuma at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 14:51:01 GMT 2009

Hello Jeff!

> This sounds pretty clearly like a server-side problem.
> Given that the
> idea behind "veto files" is to hide certain files from the
> client, the
> server can't rely on a client being "cooperative". If it's
> presenting
> these files to the client at all, then the server is
> broken.
>
> My first suspicion would be that this is a samba bug that
> is only
> happening when unix extensions are enabled. You might want
> to repeat
> your tests on the linux clients, but this time mount with
> '-o nounix'.
> If the server starts behaving correctly with that, then I
> suggest
> filing a bug with this info at samba.org.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com>

First, my apologies with my initial post by failing to indicate that it is "not" the fault of the default Samba packaged by Debian on the first test case.

As for the problem, the nounix switch yeilds the desired result of files being vetoed. I tested it many times on both OpenSUSE and Mint clients. No traces of .iso,.exe,.dll,.pif files.

I also tried other means of accessing both shares without directly mounting them. These were done using Konqueror on OpenSuSE and Nautilus on Mint. Both consistently behaved as expected:

1) Couldnt create/transfer files with the restricted pattern/extension from the client.
2) Restricted files that transferred on both shares via scp were not displayed when mounted with -o nounix, and accessed by Konqueror and Nautilus.

Any other tests you need to be performed before we call it a bug?

Kind regards,

Joseph