[linux-cifs-client] Unusual behaviour of veto files parameter on Samba 3.x using GNU/Linux Clients with 2.6.27 kernel

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Sat May 16 10:10:24 GMT 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009 02:30:55 -0700 (PDT)
Joseph Dacuma <jadacuma at yahoo.com> wrote:

> While doing tests, it was observed that whenever files mounted from a GNU/Linux client, the directive of veto files were not consistently enforced on a on some shares. To compound the problem, it could not be determined when the veto parameter will work or fail.
>
> On the positive side, with windows clients, the server blocks everything thrown at it without failure.

This sounds pretty clearly like a server-side problem. Given that the
idea behind "veto files" is to hide certain files from the client, the
server can't rely on a client being "cooperative". If it's presenting
these files to the client at all, then the server is broken.

My first suspicion would be that this is a samba bug that is only
happening when unix extensions are enabled. You might want to repeat
your tests on the linux clients, but this time mount with '-o nounix'.
If the server starts behaving correctly with that, then I suggest
filing a bug with this info at samba.org.

Cheers,