[linux-cifs-client] MOUNT_PASSWORD_SIZE too small

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri May 15 17:47:45 GMT 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:23:49 -0500
Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have MOUNT_PASSWORD_SIZE defined to 64 (rather than 127 which is
> Windows max in some GUIs) which seems too small
>
> Not sure why we have a 17 character password check in another place in
> cifs (should be the same).
>
> Any objection to making this at least 128?

None at all. IMO, we don't really need to enforce much of a password
size requirement in CIFS.

The only reason we should worry about it at all to make sure we have a
big enough buffer to hold it. If someone specifies a password that is
"too large" then the server will just reject it. Therefore if anything,
we want to err on the side of allowing a larger password than the
server will allow.