[linux-cifs-client] Latency after a cifs mount

Benjamin Pavie benjamin.pavie at utsouthwestern.edu
Fri May 15 03:38:16 GMT 2009

Hi everybody,

I have a problem of latency after mounting my partion using cifs :

sudo mount -t cifs //my.server.com/lab_share /home/bpavie/lab_share -o
credentials=/etc/samba/user,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=bpavie

When I run the following bash script,
#!/bin/bash
mkdir /home/bpavie/lab_share/test2
mkdir /home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest
touch /home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest/toto.txt

I have the following output :
bpavie at computer:~$ ./test.sh
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest':
Permission denied
touch: cannot touch `/home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest/toto.txt':
Permission denied

So the first directory is created but not the sub-directory.
When I add a sleep between the creation of the directory test2 and the
subdirectory subTest, the first error vanish.

#!/bin/bash
mkdir /home/bpavie/lab_share/test2
sleep 1
mkdir /home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest
touch /home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest/toto.txt

bpavie at computer:~$ ./test.sh
touch: cannot touch `/home/bpavie/lab_share/test2/subTest/toto.txt':
Permission denied

It seems there is a kind of delay, how to fix that ?

Benjamin