[linux-cifs-client] Re: mount.cifs

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:55:33 GMT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Elmar  wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I have another question concerning the mount of
> a DFS W2k3 Share from SLES 9 or 10.
>
> Is it possible to mount the DFS and how can I do that ?
> Which version of the cifs module is needed ?

DFS support was added in kernel version 2.6.26 (cifs 1.53).
I don't think it was backported to SLES9, but don't know
about SLES10.   cifs 1.55 had a few important DFS
fixes, cifs 1.56 fixed a problem with DFS to Samba servers
(and also a problem when prefixpath is unreachable and
follows a DFS referral).   cifs 1.58 will add support
for DFS referrals of the root of a share.

DFS support uses a helper utility (which is part of
Samba, and now installed by distros as part of the cifs
client package) to resolve TCP hostnames to ip addresses
(not needed for the less common case when
the DFS referrals are configured on the server with
IP address instead of TCP names)

Steve