[linux-cifs-client] Re: endianness of uniqueid value in, FILE_UNIX_BASIC_INFO

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 30 03:37:59 GMT 2009

>>Is the UniqueID field in FILE_UNIX_BASIC_INFO supposed to little endian
>> when it goes over the wire?
> yes, the unix extensions use the same wire encoding as the rest of the protocol

We intentionally treat the file of the UniqueId field as "opaque to the client" as we do with various other values in cifs structures.   We don't want to do unnecessary endian conversion of values that have no meaning to the client (and of course u8 fields do not get converted).  Obviously various fields that contain flags, lengths, sizes, times etc. do have to get converted on the client but there seems no point to convert server generated values that are "random" from the client's perspective and are not parsed by the client.