[linux-cifs-client] CIFS Permissions mapping from Linux to windows shares

apostolos pantazis apostolos.pantazis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:17:20 GMT 2009

Shirish, here are the details:

The Old entry (using smbfs) was as follows:

//myshare/Paul$ /Paul/Test smbfs
rw,credentials=/etc/.smbpassword2,workgroup=AP,uid=11119,gid=8890,dmask=770,fmask=770
0 0

The new entry (using CIFS) looks like:

//myshare/Paul$ /Paul/Test cifs
rw,credentials=/etc/.creds2,domain=AP,uid=11119,gid=8890,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0770
0 0

The .creds2 file is different from the .smbpasswd2 file in the
following aspects:

.smbpasswd2 used to look like:

username = AP/myusername
password = Thepassword

.creds2

username=myusername
password=The password

In other words, the .creds2 file does not contain any spaces on either
side of the equal sign and it does not specify a domain as from what I
understand under CIFS,
The only other "main" difference is that dmask and fmask have been
replaced with dir_mode and file_mode and are now expressed in octal.
There were no changes on the windows share side to accommodate this I
assumed it would work the same. The reason for not making any changes
is that I don't understand how the UNIX permissions (SLES 9 SP3 in
this case so actually Linux) map on the windows side. Does CIFS work
different than smbfs used to in this aspect?

Here is the information on the loaded CIFS module:

version:        1.33 7C34472C845ED754C697073
Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench at us.ibm.com>
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server.
Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default:
30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4
Range: 1 to 64 (int)
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including
header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
depends:
supported:      external
vermagic:       2.6.5-7.287.3-bigsmp SMP PENTIUMII REGPARM gcc-3.3

My running Kernel is: 2.6.5-7.287.3-bigsmp

I sure appreciate the help.

--
Paul