[linux-cifs-client] no read permission on a cifs share

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Mar 18 22:45:31 GMT 2009

Am Mittwoch, 18. März 2009 schrieb Salvatore Filippone:
> Hello,
> It seems that this is a problem cropping up every now and then, however
> I could not get it to work.
> Scenario: I have a Windows 98 machine (a bunch of them, actually) which
> I want to move behind a Centos 5.2 firewall, and I would like to mount
> their shares, rsync them onto the firewall disks, then export these
> directories to (some selected clients) on the external network.
> Problem is, after finding out the servern= and sec=lanman options to
> mount.cifs  and so finally being able to mount, I stumbled on the
> permission denied while trying to copy (actually, rsyncing) the mounted
> files. I get
> file XXX
> XXX:  writable, executable, regular file, no read permission
>
> Is there any place where I can find info on how to proceed?
> Even finding the servern and sec options was non-trivial, the
> combination that works (seemingly) is not documented....
>
> Is anybody willing to give a hand, and/or what sort of debug details
> would be needed?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance

Hi Salvatore,
thanks for the very detailed infos in your private email.

Due to a bug in SMBLegacyOpen() - legacy files were always opened in
r/w mode - these read errors occur, when a file has the attribute "read_only"
on your windows98 box.

This bug has been fixed 2008-05-14, see also
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=35fc37d5175091c36d034a28c057da0f9594ee7e

So you need to update to a newer kernel.

Good luck.
Günter