[linux-cifs-client] Errors popping up under heavy load

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 12:06:42 GMT 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:17:48 -0600
Michael Muratet <mmuratet at hudsonalpha.org> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have Promise 48TB RAID system connected to MacPro and CIFS mounted
> to a Dell 1950 8-core running RedHat Enterprise 3. I was not so much
> worried about security, but it did seem to perform better than NFS,
> for instance. It has worked well up until now. We recently had to
> migrate some large apps from the Mac to the linux box because a vendor
> no longer supports the Mac which puts a lot of traffic through the
> mount. Yesterday we starting seeing errors:

Sorry for the late response...

> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid
> 62979
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid
> 62980

Client sent an error and timed out before the server responded...

> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11

We tried to send on the socket, but couldn't. -EAGAIN == -11, which
means "try again later".

> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
> 62978
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
> 62977
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
> 62976
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
> 62975
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
> 62974
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
> 62973
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid
> 62972
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
> Feb 23 09:25:59 srv-cf1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -9

-9 == -EBADF, bad filehandle. Client tried to reissue the read but the
filehandle is now bogus? Maybe the socket got reconnected and we haven't
reclaimed the file yet?

> Have I reached the limits of CIFS capability? I've been poking around
> the web trying to find a manual that describes these errors. Can
> someone point me to a manual or tell me what the errors mean?

Basically it looks like the server is going unresponsive, and/or is
closing its TCP receive window so that we can't send requests to it.
That said there were some bugs in earlier kernels that could cause
messages like this to pop due to alignment issues.

What kernel is the client running here?