[linux-cifs-client] PATCH: alignment changes for CIFS VFS

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 00:42:08 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 18:31 -0600, Craig Matsuura wrote:
> Thanks for the comments.  I consider a macro to replace the ugly, get_unaligned (Good idea).  I was wonder if the change to using a get_unaligned was a
> sound solution to the problem I was encountering.  I'm sure this is not hi priority as this is not x86 specific it is more of a problem on the ARM.  I would only
> want the changes in the mainly if you thought they made sense.

Well, Linux is not x86 only (of course). While I don't personally work
much with more obscure arches, I have no problem with patches that make
things work better on those arches. I don't have a good way of testing
them though. You may want to cc lkml or linux-fsdevel when you send to
get feedback from people who do more work on those arches.

As far as if they're needed...I don't know. I assume they are or you
wouldn't have posted a patch, right? Justifying the need for a patch is
good info to put into the patch description when you send it.

> I can work on cleaning up the debugs printk's (sorry about that).  And I could add a macro.  You are correct about the older kernel, our device is based on a
> 2.6.28.10.  I do have a few questions.
>
> I am unfamiliar with cFYI macro and how it is used, I guess I can just google.  Is there a better place?

Read the source? There are cFYI macros sprinkled all over the CIFS code.

> As for git formatted patches I am not familiar with the git patch creation.  Where is the best place to learn about git patch creation?

This is a good git starter document:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

> It has been a while since I contributed anything to community so I apologize for the html and ugly patch. (Hope I got it fixed this time).

No problem. Most of us don't mind helping newbies as long as they're
willing to learn.

Cheers,