[linux-cifs-client] chmod fails Permission denied with cifs client mounted samba share

munga n2801841 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 00:21:37 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have a Thecus N2100 NAS box running samba Version 3.0.23a and I am
mounting it in /etc/fstab as below
//n2100/svn_repos /media/svn_repos cifs
auto,user,sfu,username=mythtv,password=mythtv,,rw 0 0
The CIFS client is mount.cifs version: 1.12-3.3.4

The problem is I get Permission denied errors when using chmod as below.
Even touching a file gives errors although it still creates the file. If I
mount the samba share via a windows machine I am able to change the security
settings as expected. I have tried many different options with no change. I
need chmod to work so I can setup a subversion repository on it.
[root at mythtv media]
# ll svn_repos/
total 4
-rwxrwxrw-+ 1 mythtv users 0 Jun 28 08:48 test
[root at mythtv media]
# chmod 766 svn_repos/test
chmod: changing permissions of `svn_repos/test': Permission denied
[root at mythtv media]
# touch svn_repos/test2
touch: setting times of `svn_repos/test2': Invalid argument

Here is my current smb.conf which is created by NAS box.
[global]
server string = %h
deadtime = 15
hide unreadable=yes
load printers = no
log file = /opt/samba/var/log/samba.%m
log level = 0
unix extensions = yes
max log size = 50
encrypt passwords = yes
case sensitive = auto
passdb backend = tdbsam
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
use sendfile = yes
local master = yes
domain master = no
preferred master =no
dns proxy = no
dos charset=utf8
unix charset=utf8
display charset=utf8
allow trusted domains = No
idmap uid = 20000-40000
idmap gid = 20000-40000
winbind separator = +
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
create mask = 0644
winbind use default domain = yes
map acl inherit = yes
nt acl support = yes
#map system = yes
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = eth*,wlan*,lo
guest account = nobody
map to guest = Bad User
guest only = yes
workgroup = HOME
security = user
auth methods = guest sam_ignoredomain
password server = .
realm =
idmap backend = idmap_rid:MYGROUP=20000-40000
wins server =

[svn_repos]
comment = Subversion repository
browseable = yes