[linux-cifs-client] perm error on mount point

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 11:01:34 GMT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:46:11 +0200
<pouchat at peewiki.net> wrote:

> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:31:30 -0400, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > No. Is there some reason you feel the need to pretend that the
> > directory is writable when it isn't?
>
> Yes, because it is writable : my share are ALL WRITABLE for user (username
> and uid
> option that i pass during the mount). So 2.6.24 have FOR ME the correct
> behaviour (perms). During my search i've also found that force the
> dir_mode to 0000 solve partially my problem : writable, but only for
> root...
>
> Finally, the problem (often) come from microsoft : they use the read only
> attribut instead of the system attribut. As they discuss in this page
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614 on readonly bit : "some programs can
> display errors while trying to write file in this - fake readonly - dir".
> Maybe the case with cifs in kernel 2.6.26 or later. I've tried the regedit
> they proprosed and after reload cifs all my shares were mounted with
> corrects
> perms : rwxr-xr-x instead of r-x-r-xr-x.
>
> So for the moment it works, hope for a long time ;) and thanks for
> spending time to answer and to help !

(cc'ing Steve)

Thanks for the pointer. This article actually has a little more info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/

Here's a key phrase:

"Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for
a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and
accessories, and other programs."

...perhaps we need to change this behavior so that the write bit isn't
cleared on directories with ATTR_READONLY set? What's samba's behavior
in this regard?

Steve, thoughts?