[linux-cifs-client] cifs fstab mounts - transfer as user

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 14:49:35 GMT 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:40:15 -0400
"Edsall, William (WJ)" <WJEdsall at dow.com> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
>  I have a cifs mount I've been using, permanently connected as a
> functional account.
>
> What I would like is for the user transferring the file through this
> cifs mount to retain ownership on the file being transferred. Is this
> possible? Currently any transfer becomes owned by joeuser immediately.
>

> //myserver/myshare        /transfer/myshare        cifs
> username=joeuser,password=joepass,uid=xxx,gid=yyy  0       0

Not currently. The mount doesn't have credentials for users other than
"joeuser" and the server doesn't have any idea that the file was
actually created by someone else.

There are vague plans to properly implement multiuser mounts in CIFS,
but it's a fairly major overhaul and isn't currently a priority. There
is some support for multiuser mounts in cifs already, but it's a rather
half-assed affair at the moment.