[linux-cifs-client] return codes standardized?

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Thu Jun 4 19:15:58 GMT 2009

On 2009-06-04 at 11:43 -0700 Jeremy Allison sent off:
> No, the torture test is being too strict here. Do you have
> a list of error codes that the different UNIXes return here ?

being strict here and allowing only one return code for one kind of error is a
good thing I think. It just should be documented somewhere so that other cifs
unix extension supporting parties can implement it the same way. It's bad
enough that every unix flavour has its own error codes for this. Samba should
however not return different NT error codes depending on which OS it runs on.

On AIX you aleady added support for the ELOOP return code on symlink open
calls. For NetBSD I'm still verifying whether it's EFTYPE or not - I'm working
on this.

FreeBSD (only older releases I think) return EMLINK which we translate into
NT_STATUS_TOO_MANY_LINKS, which is kind of senseless in this case. Maybe this
mapping fix should be caught in the open call only, what do you think?

Björn