[linux-cifs-client] Re: Documentation

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:52:45 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Jonathan wrote:
> When I execute this:
>
> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=foo,pass=bar //zang/s$ /mnt/zangshare
>
> I get messages in dmesg:
>
> [344017.883572]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

Looks like simply invalid parameter is returned presumably because the
share name
is reversed in order from the parameters (see "man mount.cifs" for
syntax).  Probably should be:

sudo mount -t cifs //zang/s$ /mnt/zangshare -o user=foo,pass=bar

> I cannot find any documentation anywhere that can tell me what -22
> means. Is it a CIFS C constant, a Linux kernel constant, or some POSIX
> exit code?

-22 is a posix error (EINVAL). Invalid parameter. Some Linux ship
utilities to display this
(the information you can get from strerror).   errno.h or errno-base.h
includes a more
complete list of errors.

Thanks,

Steve