[linux-cifs-client] Follow on patches for uid=/gid= behavior changes

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 09:32:19 MDT 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:04:07 -0500
Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> The README update seems ok (although a little long, I didn't see an obvious
> way to shrink it).   I am not convinced that we want to add the warn about
> kernel behavior change (may be able to do this in mount.cifs more sensibly,
> or not change the behavior if users turn out to prefer this way)

Yeah, that's really my question at this point. Should we change the
default behavior?

I think it ultimately makes more sense to not clobber the ownership
unless it's specifically requested. As my evidence I submit the manpage
update -- there are more "ifs" and special cases when explaining the
the option behavior.

OTOH, it's a lot more effort to change the default. Maybe it's not
worth it.

Another idea: would it be better to dispense with forceuid/forcegid and
just add a new default_uid= or default_gid= options to specify what the
owner should be when one isn't provided (and when uid=/gid= aren't
specified).

Given that my first pass at this made everyone unhappy, I'd appreciate
some feedback.