[linux-cifs-client] [patch] Increase send time out on a socket long enough inorder to eliminate any timeouts on large sends

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 06:05:56 MDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:14:38 -0500
Shirish Pargaonkar <shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Inspite of a set of data integrity patches in cifs last yer, there
> still persist errors
> caused due to timeouts resulting in sending incomplete data and
> hence data integrity errors.
>
> The proposed socket send timeout is large enough to elminate that possibility.

On what evidence do you base the above statement? Who's to say that 30s
is long enough if someone has a high-latency enough connection?

> The tests with this patches have resulted in elminating data integrity errors on
> an 80 hours test runs which otherwise manifest in matter of hours of a test run.

Also, can you give some details about these data integrity errors? Were
writes failing? If so, were they not reported at fsync or close?

My suspicion is that the main problem here is the default of "soft" for
CIFS mounts. It's well known that that's a recipe for data corruption
with NFS and there's no reason why it wouldn't be the same for CIFS.

Instead of this patch, how about doing a patch that fixes the
hard/soft mount options for CIFS and see whether you can still
reproduce the data corruption with a hard mount?