[linux-cifs-client] cifs mount failing

BJ Taylor btaylor at propertysolutions.com
Sun Jul 12 01:54:00 GMT 2009

kernel version for the server is: 2.6.22.19-0.2-bigsmp
kernel version for the client is: 2.6.27.19-3.2-default

The servers were each updated about 4 months ago.  So not extremely current,
but not bad either.

I didn't see any messages in /var/log/messages that were related.

I realized that when I said that these mounted drive saw moderate use, that
may not be quite accurate.  Compared to how a lot of systems use mounted
drives, these use them fairly heavily.  These are web servers that server a
fair number of clients, and each request to the web server makes at least
one file read over the cifs mounted folder.  These systems never use
hibernate or anything like that, but they do use the drive folder fairly
heavily.

I will update the systems again this week, and if we can still reproduce the
issue, I will report it in the bugzilla.

Is there any way to increase the verbosity of the client logging?  I don't
even know which service is the most directly related to cifs folders, or is
this just part of the kernel itself?  I wish I had more concrete information
to put in bugzilla so that it won't just be dismissed as 'not
reproducable'.  Any suggestions on that?

BJ Taylor
Property Solutions International, Inc.
btaylor at propertysolutions.com