[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS and Windows 2003 Server shares

Leonardo Chiquitto leonardo.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:04:41 GMT 2009

> The Linux CIFS code has 3 layered "pieces" when setting up a mount:
>
> TCP Session (basically the socket)
> SMB Session (generally separated by username)
> Tree Connection (sort of the actual "mount")
>
> These are all "many to one". i.e. a TCP session can have several SMB
> sessions, and a SMB session can have several tcons.

Jeff, thanks a lot for the information.

> It sounds almost like the server is squishing the SMB sessions together
> and getting them confused for some reason. You might want to look at
> what's going on on the wire with the SMB sessions.

Besides the traffic captures, is there something more I could do to
look at the sessions in the server side? It seems like Windows maintains
each session with a valid list of User IDs. When the second session is
established, the new User ID overwrites the one from the previous session.
Also, I couldn't find something like a "Session Identifier" in the packet
captures. Is it kept independently by client and server and never sent
over the network?

> I also wonder whether the server may be presenting share-level security
> mounts, but that would be very odd for a server as new as win2k3.

Well.. indeed it is. The shared folder has "Full Control" permissions
set to "Everyone". Unfortunately this is something I have no control at all.

Thanks!
Leonardo