[linux-cifs-client] [cifs] permissions of mounted share (server and client both linux)

Harry P reader at newsguy.com
Sun Jan 11 08:55:02 GMT 2009

Note this is a cross post here and debian.user.. the server is gentoo
the client is debian.

It's kind of a phony cross post though since I didn't think to do this
until I'd already posted on debian user, and gentoo.user.. So its
really a second post with the same content.  Some consider that a
faux paux(sp?)... So please forgive with my explanation.

Content:

I'm using samba and cifs to mount a certain directory on a linux
(gentoo) machine (Which will also be accessed by windows machines [but
not yet]).

On the server machine I've created the directory `projects'.  With
permissions 755 and ownership reader:wheel

This is mounted from a machine runnning debian lenny like this in
fstab:
(wrapped for mail at the `\')
(Note the host name is reader .. not to be confused with user reader)

 //reader/smProjects   /projects  cifs noauto,username=reader,\
 credentials=/etc/samba/CifsCredentials,uid=reader,gid=wheel

OK, with /projects share mounted on the deb machine, I attempt to copy
a directory (oneA) of files into it with `cp -a oneA /projects'

Note that the same user reader in group wheel exists on both server
and client machines.

The permissions on oneA (on client)  are 755 and the files inside are 644.

When I attempt to carry out the copy action I get a slew of warnings
like this:
  cp: setting permissions for `./oneA/...': Permission denied

The cp  is still carried out but all the files now have 744
permissions.

If I drop the -a[rchive] flag and do the cp with `cp -R' its done
silently but the permissions still end up 744 on what are regular files
(that were 644)

Any regular files I create on the mounted share end up 744.

Can I set a umask in the mount syntax or what do I need to do here to
have the files keep the standard permissions? Why are they being changed?

Postscript:

I since tried slightly different mount syntax with no better results:
original from fstab:

 (wrapped for mail)

 //reader/smProjects   /projects  cifs noauto,username=reader,\
 credentials=/etc/samba/CifsCredentials,uid=reader,gid=wheel

Current in fstab

 //reader/smProjects   /projects  cifs noauto,username=reader,\
 credentials=/etc/samba/CifsCredentials,uid=reader,gid=wheel,\
 file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755

Still creating regular text files on client end up 0744.