[linux-cifs-client] Domain based DFS namespace works?

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.de
Mon Feb 9 16:45:00 GMT 2009

Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 18:29:33 +0530
> Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's not clear to me whether complete domain based DFS namespace support
>> is available or not with linux cifs implementation. For e.g.
>>
>> Suppose there are two Win2k3 servers (dfs1, dfs2) and a seperate win2k3
>> PDC as AD (ad.domain). Both dfs1 and dfs2 are part of ad. dfs1 has a
>> namespace 'ns 'and referral link 'ref' present in dfs2.
>>
>> If I try to mount the DFS namespace using AD domain, is it expected to work?
>>      mount -t cifs //ad.domain/ns /mnt -o user=Administrator
>> (note that I'm trying to mount the referral directly)
>>
>> In one of our setup it doesn't seem to be working. But I'm not sure
>> whether it's a configuration issue or not.

> I doubt that will work unless ad.domain happens to resolve to an
> address somehow. The mount.cifs program doesn't have support for
> recognizing an AD domain in the host portion of the UNC.

I think this is not happening now. The client should contact AD server
to know about the DFS root (since in domain based DFS namespace, the AD
is aware of the DFS namespaces). Yeah, obviously the mount.cifs should
recognize that it's a AD domain first.

> Also, mounting DFS referrals directly has some problems at the
> moment. Igor posted a patch to prevent oopses from that, but I think
> we probably need to consider a more complete solution.

Yes, I think this is not supported as of now.

Suresh Jayaraman