[patch][linux-cifs-client] clean-up entries in /etc/mtab after unmounting a cifs filesystem

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 01:58:08 GMT 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:22:40 -0600
Shirish Pargaonkar <shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Shirish Pargaonkar
> <shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Shirish Pargaonkar
> > <shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Two different patches for the same functionality, to remove the
> >> remaining entry in /etc/mtab
> >> after a filesystem is unmounted by canonicalizing the supplied
> >> mountpoint on the command line.
> >>
> >> Please refer to bug 4370 in samba bugzilla.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Shirish
> >>

> > version of the patch after making a change suggested by Jeff Layton.
> >

> > I'm wonder though whether we need a umount.cifs program at all. All the
> > teardown is done in-kernel. Is there some reason we can't just rely on
> > the normal util-linux-ng umount program?
>
> Jeff,
>
> I tested with /bin/umount and that is good enough.  so if we want to get rid of
> umount.cifs, I have no problem.

Good to know. After I sent that I had a look at the code. It seems like
there is some code in there to handle umounts by unprivileged users.
I'm not certain how important that is however, and whether the normal
umount command is sufficient to handle that situation as well.

I think for now, we should go ahead and apply your patch. I'll see if I
can do some research when I get some time and determine whether we
might be able to get rid of umount.cifs altogether.

I'll plan to apply the patch tomorrow...

Cheers,