[linux-cifs-client] surprise behavior #2: files confused with directories

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Sat Dec 19 12:11:29 MST 2009

aaron brick wrote:

> i am having two intermittent problems with CIFS and am sending
> separate emails to the list for each. this paragraph is identical. my
> desktop runs debian and kernel 2.6.32rc7; i am mounting a filesystem
> from my synology NAS, running DSM 2.2-0942 and using ext3 & RAID5
> internally. the link is gigabit through cat5e and a netgear switch.
> the only CIFS dmesg entry i see is a couple of: "CIFS VFS: server
> 10.1.1.2 of type Samba 3.2.8 returned unexpected error on SMB posix
> open, disabling posix open support. Check if server update available."
> (FWIW, synology hasn't released a firmware with a more recent samba.)
>

> here, seemingly in older terminals, files get mistaken for
> directories, and particularly the parent (..) or current (.)
> directories. when moving a file from one directory to another, and
> using tab completion for long filenames, i accidentally vacate whole
> sections of my directory structure. apparently the problem can reverse
> itself, as you can see in this transcript:

I'm also getting weird errors where files are confused as directories. For
example I run some program from mc that supposed to overwrite existing text
file and it ends with error saying that file is a directory. I exit mc, do
"cd ." and files are no longer confused as directories.

The other weird thing is that I was unpacking bunch of files in a/b/c
directory on mounted cifs "a/" filesystem and suddently system showed that
there is no entries in "a/b/" at all. umounting && mounting fs fixed the
problem.

Locally it's 2.6.32 and now 2.6.33rc1 kernel. Remote side in samba 3.0.32 on
popcorn hour c200 media device. This problem didn't occur on earlier kernels
but I cannot test on which kernel version it started to happen.

Didn't test "-o noserverino" yet but going to. (I'm unable to reproduce the
problem easily.. it just sometimes happens, sometimes it doesn't).

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team