[linux-cifs-client] Problem with soft links on samba share

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Thu Dec 24 20:29:40 MST 2009

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:17:55 +0300
gosha-necr <gosha-necr at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hi friends!
> I have a trouble with working linux clients in samba resource.
> My server: FreeBSD 8.0 i386 + Samba 3.4.3, joined in AD based on Win2003
>
> Windows-client work with share ok, without any problems. But i move stations in organization from win to linux. As client OS i choose mandriva 2010, users logons in linux throught domain and samba resourse mount with libpam_mount.
>
> On server in share i'm make soft links to various folders:
> ls -la /mnt/big/smb
>
> 1C-Bases -> ../bases
> Docs -> ../Documents
>
> And on linux clients that links in mounted with mount.cifs, samba resource shows like links, and with server paths:
> ls -la /mnt/share
> 1C-Bases -> /mnt/big/bases
> Docs -> /mnt/big/Documents
>
> and it's of course not working. Windows clients see in share that links like folders and work with it without problems.
>
> mount.cifs --version:
> mount.cifs version: 1.12-3.4.3
>
> What i do wrong?

Nothing. It's all working as expected.

When unix extensions are enabled, samba doesn't follow symlinks and
instead sends them as is to the client. When they aren't enabled, samba
follows symlinks and sends interprets a symlink as its target.

I don't know of any way to change that server-side. You can mount with
'-o nounix' to disable unix extensions and that should "fix" it, but
you'll lose the ability to get mode info, etc...

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>