[linux-cifs-client] Debugging mount error 13

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 12:07:58 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:01:29 +0100
John G Walker <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm connecting a new PC to my network and need to be able to move files
> across to it. However, when I attempt to mount a directory from it, I
> get the dreaded "mount error 13 = Permission denied message.
>
> My mount command has uses a credentials file with the correct name and
> password in it, and everything else appears to be hunky-dory. There are
> no warnings given, just the error message. I'm using a script I wrote a
> couple of years ago, and which I use, successfully, every day.
>
> Any tips on the direction I should be taking to debug this would be
> gratefully received, particularly ones enabling me to determine which
> machine has the problem,

Error 13 is EACCES. Nothing particular to CIFS stands out at me as
something that would throw this error at mount time. That probably
means that you're getting an error back from the server and that's
being translated to EACCES. Your best bet is probably to sniff traffic
with wireshark to track it down, but you may be able to gather a little
more info from turning up CIFS debugging:

# echo 7 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI

...you can turn it back off again after making the attempt by echoing 0
into that file.