[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS-VFS error

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 16:42:57 GMT 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:37:59 -0500
Shirish Pargaonkar <shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:28:44 -0400
> > Anirudh Srinivasan <srianirudh at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Ok can you please tell me upgrading to what version of kernel will fix this
> >> issue.
> >
> > No, because we don't know what the problem actually is. The problem
> > could be that the server just plain isn't responding, or it could mean
> > that there's a problem processing those replies. There are fixes for
> > several problems of the latter variety that have gone into RHEL over
> > the last 2 years.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com>
> >

> Jeff,
>
> How about a kernel that brings in 1.56 version of cifs?
> I think that version of cifs has the socket error fixes (i.e. change
> from non-blocking
> to blocking), these errors in syslog are the same errors with
> non-blocking sockets.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shirish

In general, the later the better. 5.3-ish kernels should have most of
what you want. If you have someplace non-critical to do so, you're also
free to test the kernels on my people.redhat.com page and see if they
improve things for you:

http://people.redhat.com/jlayton

..the code in the RHEL5 kernels there is pretty close to what's slated
for inclusion in 5.4.