[linux-cifs-client][patch]

Shirish Pargaonkar shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 16:41:14 GMT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Shirish Pargaonkar
<shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> This patch disables mapchars mount option if the CIFS/SMB server
> honours unix extension
> since then rempaing of special characters such as : in strings such as
> path name are
> not necessary.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shirish

I think this patch should not be considered.  I just verified that the
older samba server such as this
Version 3.0.22-3-SUSE-CODE10 would still need mapchars option to map
special characters if the
strings such as file names have these characters i.e. a:b.

In newer versions of samba servers, mapchars option is irrelevant.