[linux-cifs-client] cifs honor client <option> parameter in smb.conf

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.de
Thu Apr 9 11:55:28 GMT 2009

Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:58:00 +0530
> Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman at suse.de> wrote:

>> Wondering whether cifs vfs client is supposed to honor or attempt to
>> honor the client specific parameters in smb.conf. For e.g. an config
>> entry such as:
>>
>>    client plaintext auth
>>
>> Currently, it seems with the above parameter in smb.conf, a cifs client
>> won't be able to mount successfully with plaintext auth and will result
>> in -EPERM error. Adjusting the SecurityFlags will allow the user to
>> mount, though, but in that case the smb.conf entry is being ignored?
>>

> smb.conf is completely ignored by mount.cifs

Yes, I understand this. I was thinking whether any negotiation if
possible with the server should happen and based on this cifs client
should make decision/set SecurityFlags for that session.. as smb.conf
documentation talks in general about  "all samba client tools"
For e.g. this man page of smb.conf might be misleading thought:
<snip>
       client lanman auth (G)

           This parameter determines whether or not smbclient(8) and
other samba client tools will attempt to authenticate itself to servers
using the weaker LANMAN password hash.
</snip>

Users that are used to smbclient would be expecting the similar
behaviour from cifs. I think such options should clearly documented in
smb.conf man page so that the fact that mount.cifs would be ignoring
smb.conf client specific settings is visible to users.

Suresh Jayaraman