[linux-cifs-client] CIFS VFS: server not responding

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 12:40:38 GMT 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:30:45 +0800
"Mars TSE Yiu Kei" <mars_tse at hk.dbsvickers.com> wrote:

> No actual application problem as the server is busy while doing backup
> at night. Just concern if there is anything could do. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Mars

I don't think there's too much we can reasonably do. One possibility is
to make these messages less frequent (i.e., only print them when
a call takes a very long time to complete). I'm hesitant to get rid of
them entirely since they can be an important indicator that something
is wrong. Without them, it may be hard to tell what's going on if the
server stops responding completely.

One thing that would be nice would be to make these messages behave in
a similar fashion to the "server not responding..." messages that NFS
spews. The situation is similar and many admins are already familiar
with those messages. That may help reduce confusion.