[linux-cifs-client] mounting from a server with DNS-based load balancing

Bill Gunter tulanian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 09:44:43 GMT 2008

I am having trouble mounting shares from a netapp filer that has two
interfaces and one hostname. If I rely on the round-robin DNS
resolution in the mounts, about half of the shares mount the first
time I try them. After another couple of tries I can get all the
shares to mount. If I set the IP in /etc/hosts on the client all the
shares mount fine. Debug messages point to a problem with mounting
shares with a different server IP. It looks like cifs doesn't the IP
to change, and after the first mount from a server subsequent mounts
of different shares from the same server have to use the same IP
address as the first mount.

Is this intended behavior, or something strange when mounting from a netapp?

Client kernel: 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp
CIFS version: 1.50cRH

Thanks.

--
Bill Gunter
tulanian at gmail.com
http://irishyear.blogspot.com

"I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not
merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed
consummation." Reflections on the Psalms, C.S. Lewis

Spread Firefox!