[linux-cifs-client] cannot write to file after move to 2.6.27 from 2.6.25.4

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 12:46:34 GMT 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:26:13 -0500
Timothee Besset <ttimo at idsoftware.com> wrote:

> Lo all,
>
> I've been stuck on 2.6.25.4 for a while now. With each newer kernel I've
> tried I found myself with some of my network shares not working. The
> symptoms are as follow:
>
> I can mount just fine, I have linux extensions disabled, I also pass
> 'nounix' on the mount command line.
> I cannot write to existing files. I can create new files however.
>
> Each time I try a new kernel I end up going back to my old 2.6.25.4
> because it's the only one that still works. Attaching below a log of
> mounting the filesystem and running a write operation that fails. Server
> is a samba 3.0.24
>
> TTimo

The cifsFYI output shows this toward the end:

Oct 14 19:22:14 ttimozilla kernel:  fs/cifs/connect.c: invalid transact2 word count
Oct 14 19:22:14 ttimozilla kernel:  fs/cifs/netmisc.c: Mapping smb error code 2 to POSIX err -2
Oct 14 19:22:14 ttimozilla kernel:  fs/cifs/cifssmb.c: SetPathInfo (file size) returned -2
Oct 14 19:22:14 ttimozilla kernel:  fs/cifs/inode.c: SetEOF by path (setattrs) rc = -2

SMB error 2 looks like:

#define ERRbadfile              2       /* File not found. The last component
                                           of a file's pathname could not be
                                           found. */

...any chance you could send me a binary network capture of this failure?