[linux-cifs-client] Optimizing CIFS/SMB

_ sylvania25 at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 6 04:34:20 GMT 2008

I have a WinXP box which has a drive shared. I also have a Linux box
with mounts the Windows share using CIFS across a wireless LAN. I need
to optimize the reads to files on the share. The reads are almost always
sequential with very little need for random access.
    I've hacked into the kernel code and changed the CIFS_MAX_MSGSIZE
macro from 4*4096 to 64*4096. That seems to have allowed me to increase
the readahead cache specified in /etc/fstab, but I'd still like it to be
faster. Any ideas?
<http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/ident?i=CIFS_MAX_MSGSIZE>