[linux-cifs-client] changing CIFS writes timeout if exclusive oplock is obtained.

wasrshi nimara warshinimara at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 20:40:12 GMT 2008

Hi,

I am testing the CIFS code for a linux client (v 2.6.24.3) in the event of a
network failure.

I notice that the cifs_writepages calls CIFSSMBWrite2 with timeout values as
CIFS_LONG_OP (45 seconds).
This is how long the write function sleeps before giving up on the
communication.

The comments say 45 seconds was picked because of server oplock timeouts. I
am looking
at optimizing this path in the event of the client owning an exclusive
(r/w)  oplock on the
file. In this case wouldn't a smaller timeout like read(15 seconds) suffice.
I want to confirm
this change would work and not blow stuff up!

I am also curious on the how the read timeout was fixed at 15 seconds? Any
tirbal
knowledge here ....

thanks
warshi