[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS with ACL's

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon May 26 22:43:29 GMT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Mark Wengranowski wrote:
> I have been searching high and low for the answer for this and was hoping
> that you guys could help me out. I have a samba server configured using
> acl's to control specific file permissions. When I try and connect to it
> using a mount.cifs command I can't see the ACL permissions. The drive I am
> mounting it to is ACL enabled. None of my linux machines are able to view
> the acl permissions.
The Linux cifs client can display POSIX acls when the server (like
Samba) supports this protocol extension
(e.g. you can run getfacl and setfacl from the Linux cifsclient to
various Samba servers).

The Linux cifs client, when mounted with the new "cifsacl"
experimental mount option (kernel version 2.6.25 or later), can use
part of the CIFS/NTFS/Windows ACLs in order to set and get the POSIX
mode bits (the 0777 r/w/x bits  but only for user-owner/group/other).
 Code has not been written yet to allow the native Linux (POSIX ACL)
tools to be mapped into CIFS/NTFS/Windows form through
setfacl/getfacl, but you can display or modify Windows from Linux via
the Samba tool (smbcacls) which is similar to what many Windows
administrators are already used to (with the Windows tool "cacls").

I would love to see someone work on at least displaying the
CIFS/NTFS/Windows ACLs on a cifs inode via the xattr interface (so you
could do "getxattr" to view the ACL, even if the RIDs were
untranslated to usernames).

Steve