[linux-cifs-client] Numerous "CIFS VFS: Send error" messages in 2.6.25.3

Shirish Pargaonkar shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com
Tue May 13 03:29:12 GMT 2008

On 5/12/08, Gautam Iyer <gi1242+samba at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was using "mount -t smbfs" on Linux-2.6.23 for a long time with no
> problems. When I recently upgraded to CIFS + Linux-2.6.25, I ran into a
> few issues.
>
> My Samba server is a Vantec networked hard disk. I mount it via
>
>    mount -t cifs //andurin/PUBLIC /tmp/andurin -o nounix,guest
>
> Now I can copy / move files just fine. But when I try and do something
> fancy, I get numerous errors. Usually at this point my log file is
> clutter with numerous CIFS VFS error messages. A few of the log lines
> are:
>
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -28, wrote 0
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid 67
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -11, wrote 0
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -11, wrote -511544036
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -28, wrote 0
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -11, wrote -511544036
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -28, wrote 0
>    May 12 18:56:04 mordor CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid 78
>
> Again, everything (seems) to work fine for simple file operations (cp
> -R, mv, rm, head, tail). The operations that mess up are things like
> mke2fs, zpool create, rsync on really large and similar directory trees.
>
> My NAS server is working fine since I can access it file from my wifes
> MAC. But again, the Mac only does simple file operations (cp, rm,
> generating thumbnails).
>
> Would you know what's going on? Or what I can do to work around this
> problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> GI
>
> --
> Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
> million bugs!

I am trying to work on this problem.  Try increasing the send
(sk_sndbuf) and receive
(sk_rcvbuf) buffer sizes of socket  from 200K and 140K respectively to
512K or 1M
in fs/cifs/connect.c in function ipv4_connect.

What is the output of command
sysctl -a | grep tcp | grep mem

I am not sure whether cifs should be setting these values of sndbuf and
rcvbuf of a socket and instead let tcp auto-tuning take care of the sizes but
I think auto-tuning on send buffer side is not working, recieve buffer
side it does.

Regards,

Shirish