[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs - a "DoS" against Windows 2003?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 31 13:32:22 GMT 2008

According to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx,
"the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260
characters."

We can verify it by trying to create several directories/subdirectories
with long names locally on a Windows 2003 server (and perhaps other
Windows releases, too). Other way to verify it is to connect (i.e.
\\server\C$) from one Windows 2003 server to another, and to try to
create several directories/subdirectories with long names - it won't
work when the path exceeds 260 characters.

However, when we use mount.cifs from Linux to mount a Windows 2003
share, this limitation does not seem to apply.

We can create directories/subdirectories/files with a total path longer
than 260 characters.

What's more, such created files/directories can't be later
deleted/renamed/viewed on a Windows 2003 machine.

Windows bug, mount.cifs bug, or simply I misunderstand it?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org