[linux-cifs-client] Bizarre problem with CIFS

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Tue Mar 18 18:32:55 GMT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:08:18 -0700 (PDT)
y_farkash <y_farkash at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to this forum. This is the problem I'm having and I couldn't find a
> solution anywhere:
>
> I have a FC4 server sharing an array via SMB and two workstations. First
> workstation runs FC4 as well and is configured to mount the share via SMB
> with the proper username/password and credentials by using the following
> line:
> "//share/share /mountpoint smbfs
> username=usr,password-pass,fmask=777,dmask=777,rw 0 0"
>
> I initially had permissions issues until I added the fmask and dmask options
> which solved it. So this share is working perfectly, I can copy to and from
> the share and work on it directly.
>
> The problem is with the other workstation, which is running FC7. When I
> tried using similar approach to mount the shared array I was informed by the
> system that it does not support SMB anymore and I should use CIFS. I use the
> following line to load the same share via CIFS:
> "//share/share /mountpoint cifs user=usr,pass=pass,rw 0 0"
>
> This mounts the share and I can browse it either by terminal or file
> manager. However, when I try to copy files FROM the share TO the local
> machine I get "permission denied". Even if I log on as root on the local
> machine I get the same error. I made sure I copy it into a folder I have
> writing permissions on. When I ls the mounted shared folder the owner is the
> local non-privileged user with -rwxr-xr-x permissions.
>
> Even weirder, I can create new files on the shared array or copy files FROM
> the LOCAL machine TO the SHARED array, and those files that I created or
> copied I CAN copy back FROM the SHARED array TO the LOCAL machine! This
> works as either root or non-privileged user. It is just files which are on
> the shared when I mount it that I can not copy to the local machine!
>
> Any ideas how to solve this issue?
>
> Thank you so much for your help!
>
> Yoav Farkash

Sounds like the server is refusing permission for some reason...

FC4 is pretty ancient and I'm not sure how well posix extensions worked
in samba in those days. Could you try cifs with a set of options like
this:

    user=usr,pass=pass,rw,nounix,file_mode=777,dir_mode=777

...and see if that makes any difference? That should help narrow it
down a bit.