[linux-cifs-client] Bizarre problem with CIFS

y_farkash y_farkash at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 18:08:18 GMT 2008

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. This is the problem I'm having and I couldn't find a
solution anywhere:

I have a FC4 server sharing an array via SMB and two workstations. First
workstation runs FC4 as well and is configured to mount the share via SMB
with the proper username/password and credentials by using the following
line:
"//share/share /mountpoint smbfs
username=usr,password-pass,fmask=777,dmask=777,rw 0 0"

I initially had permissions issues until I added the fmask and dmask options
which solved it. So this share is working perfectly, I can copy to and from
the share and work on it directly.

The problem is with the other workstation, which is running FC7. When I
tried using similar approach to mount the shared array I was informed by the
system that it does not support SMB anymore and I should use CIFS. I use the
following line to load the same share via CIFS:
"//share/share /mountpoint cifs user=usr,pass=pass,rw 0 0"

This mounts the share and I can browse it either by terminal or file
manager. However, when I try to copy files FROM the share TO the local
machine I get "permission denied". Even if I log on as root on the local
machine I get the same error. I made sure I copy it into a folder I have
writing permissions on. When I ls the mounted shared folder the owner is the
local non-privileged user with -rwxr-xr-x permissions.

Even weirder, I can create new files on the shared array or copy files FROM
the LOCAL machine TO the SHARED array, and those files that I created or
copied I CAN copy back FROM the SHARED array TO the LOCAL machine! This
works as either root or non-privileged user. It is just files which are on
the shared when I mount it that I can not copy to the local machine!

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Thank you so much for your help!

Yoav Farkash