[linux-cifs-client] Re: set last write time = fsync ?

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 15:35:02 GMT 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:

>  On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 11:16 -0500, Steve French wrote:
>  > Access is usually checked on open right ... so once a file is open
>  > even if the file becomes read-only, the writes, even cached writes
>  > continue.
>
>  Is this true even in the case you loose the connection with the server
>  and need to re-establish it ?
>
>  Simo Sorce
>  Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer <simo at samba.org>
>  Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>

If you lose the connection with the server, the eventual reconnection could
fail (changed password, deleted user) or reopen could fail (ACL on
the file changed) but there isn't much we can do about that except
aggressively flush write data (for write behind data) and do whole file
caching on the client (for read ahead data)  which hurt performance
even worse - but cifs does have a mount option to write through
(forcedirectio) rather than cache writes if desired.

Steve