[linux-cifs-client] Re: Unable to mount using sec=none and mount.cifs

Ganael LAPLANCHE ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
Wed Mar 12 11:09:31 GMT 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:38:10 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote

Hi Jeff and thak you for your answer,

> Yes, looks like the server specified plaintext passwords, but then the
> client decided to send it LANMAN hashes anyway (which makes me wonder
> where it got the encryption key...hmmm). You may want to try a newer
> kernel, there have been some fixes in this area in the last several
> months.

Unfortunately, I already use the latest module version (1.50) of the CIFS
module. Unless something related has changed in the kernel base, this should
give the same results...

> Alternately, you may want to try a more restrictive setting for
> SecurityFlags (maybe 0x20020) to force plaintext passwords and see if
> that works around the problem.

This was a good idea. Using this flag, I can see my clear-text password appear
during the 'Session Setup AndX Request' step. Unfortunately, the account used
for the connection is incorrect (a concatenation of the Domain, the client OS
and the Lan manager without the very first letter) and there is no valid session
key (0x00000000).

You can access the capture file of this test here :

http://contribs.martymac.com/misc/net-captures/mount.cifs-0x20020-20080312.pcap

I'm going to file a bug report for that.

Best regards,

Ganaël LAPLANCHE
ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
http://www.martymac.com